Per the announcement below, Yuku is transitioning the CPB to an updated platform on Tapatalk Groups. In the next 7 days, they'll roll out the production migration of the site to Tapatalk Groups. The migration will not change the site URL. There will be a few of hours of downtime while we move to the new platform, and the moves are planned for late night and early morning to minimize the impact to traffic. The formal announcement about the new system is below:
As you also are aware, we have had many issues that impacted the availability of the forums. Initially, we had issues as we moved to cloud based servers (Microsoft Cloud and Amazon Web Services (AWS). Just recently, availability was impacted by a Denial of Service attack (DDOS). Working with Microsoft and Amazon, we have the attack controlled, and moved behind additional protection.
- As many of you already know, a few months ago Yuku started a partnership with Tapatalk. Mobile traffic now account for over 50% of the traffic viewing Yuku forums. Given Tapatalk's expertise in mobile, it was a natural step in the evolution of Yuku.
The past few months also pointed us to the need to overhaul Yuku The Yuku code was written about 15 years ago (way before the first iPhone) and has been patched numerous times. We are at the point the continual patching is creating too many issues, and it is time to give Yuku the modern code it deserves.
We are going to expand the partnership with Tapatalk to help us get to the next stage of Yuku. As part of the partnership, we will soon begin a transition to a rebuilt code base. These are some of the benefits you will see with the new Yuku:
- Improved stability of servers, creating faster response and more up time
- Moving to Tapatalk Groups platform for improved functionality and stability
- Some much needed functionality, including:
- Ability to take your board off line while you make some changes
- Full control over the private message system.
- Easily change your board defaults to a different language.
- Full control over user registration settings.
- Option to allow or disallow bbcode
- Set a limited editing time.
- Bump interval options.
- Option to reset your member’s passwords or emails if they lose their login.
- User groups with security value
- Spam prevention with StopForumSpam and Akismet
While there are several improvements, most things will remain the same, including:
- Your existing forums and members
- For those on Gold, ad removal
But with the new platform, there are going to remove some features that are problematic to support, and will no longer be available:
- Limited number of board skins
- Shoutbox / Chatroom
- Gallery and Album (EDIT - according to the FAQ, "Nothing will happen to them, they are being preserved. However, I don't know yet what the final setup for images will look like" - GR)
- Options for members to contribute towards ad-removal (EDIT - not a problem since I pay for that myself - GR)